Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Run OS X, Linux or Windows on Chrome Notebook

Link to Google Chrome OS Cr-48 running OS X & Win 7 videos

In doing some follow-up research with my attempts of running Android Live (for the PC), I'm also looking at other OSes such as Jolicloud, MeeGo and Chrome OS plus Chromium OS. Granted at least two will not run on my old test machines, since they're specifically made for the Netbook platform (which I don't really like, but they're cute and easy to take along).

I came across one article at Tom's Hardware (ok, so not everyone likes Tom, but this is still relevant) - it had some lucky guy who has two (count 'em) two Google Chrome OS test machines! And he even installed OS X & Windows 7 - whatever for? No idea. Maybe just to see if it can be done - to check out the hardware compatibility I suppose...

What do I have in my arsenal? An old Fujitsu P2120 Lifebook running on a now extinct 800Mhz Crusoe chip, a Compaq 1.5Ghz Centrino machine (forgot the exact model) which the power supply just got busted, an NEC Pentium 4 2Ghz machine and my favourite Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 1.3Ghz Centrino machine. All of these, were hand-me-downs, in exception of the CF-29, which I bought 2nd hand and fixed it up a little...The CF-29 has an advantage over the other machines though- it has a touchscreen, which makes sense installing an OS like Android which is built around the technology. It might not support multipoint - but it somewhat works.

The problem is that I have not been 100% successful in running Android Live on the CF-29. Oh, yes it runs, just that I haven't been able to get the OS to find stuff out of the box, i.e. the networking/WiFi, sound and some stuff are missing. Alternatively, the other route besides booting from the live CD, is to use the .iso image with Oracle's VM Virtualbox with the free Daemon Tools Lite (you can get these off the Net for free for non-commercial use).

You can imagine how my hopes were dashed when the touchscreen seemed to work in Android Live but you're all dressed up but you can't go anywhere :-(

I'll post up the progress when I make some headway on these teeny OSes on the PC. Does anyone have a Netbook to spare for testing?

Are these OSes going to have a niche on the PC? I reserve my opinions until I can say with confidence whether this is auta or not!

No comments: